Monday, May 9, 2011

#88 - Leaving Abomosu / The Terrys Leave

Dear Family and Friends,                                 May 9, 2011

Well, this week was really fast. I had 3 full days of meetings. Why so
many meetings?

Because I'm training.

I don't know where, I don't know who (We have one new missionary from Nigeria, one
from Sierra Leone, one from South Africa, one from Ethiopia, and a
Filipino from Australia coming. No Americans.), but I was asked to
train. I'm torn between being really excited and really worried. On
the one hand, training is an invitation to be perfect. President
Smith, in our training meeting, put a lot of emphasis on trainers.
"I'm trusting you with one of my children!" he pointed out. I'm
excited to finish out with a bang, on fire, at the top of my game. On
the other hand, and I hope my new trainee is a hard worker. He has no idea what he
is doing, which is fine, but this leads some missionaries to just
quit. And frankly, I'm just not sure I'll have the patience for that
as the weeks hit single digits. [until he comes home!!!]

Now, this does mean I will probably leave Abomosu, and that just
breaks my heart. Boy, I love this place. Sometimes, things are hard,
but in the villages, you can find families. You can find people who do
an honest day's work, and who want to do the right thing. Some of the
leaders out here are the greatest people you could hope to meet, and
you are really close to Ghana Church History in these villages.

The Terrys leave on Thursday. In a way, they were my longest-running
companions. I had 5 transfers with them, 1 early on and 4 after I
became an "experienced" missionary. I love Elder and Sister Terry. I
wish all of you could see the massive difference in the Saints and the
Church here because of their dedicated 18 month mission. If you are a
little older and worried you can't make much of a difference, serve a
mission. It is just amazing. The whole district is just in tears. Fast
and Testimony meeting was all about them. I'm sad to go, but I'm happy
to leave with them. It just wouldn't be the same without them.

I'm hoping these pictures make it. My favorite is the little boy,
grinning like Matt Sullivan, and the sweet little girl with the knife.
It's a village, after all.

Love you lots! Happy Mother's day!

Love,
Elder W. Farnbach

No comments:

Post a Comment