Monday, December 20, 2010

#68 - Christmas early

Dear Friends and Family,                                 December 20, 2010

    Sorry, in the bush, we take whatever we can get when it comes to
the internet. We use the Family History Center. The net is really slow
today, but I'll do my best.

    I find it frustrating that every time I sit down to write, I
forget what I had been composing in my head throughout the week.
Normally I take better notes, but things have been really hectic.

    We had our Christmas Conference this past week. I saw a lot of
old missionary buddies, and got to spend a lot of time with my Zone
members as we all spent the night at the mission home. We did not get
to bed until around 3 that morning. It's okay though, as after the
Christmas party we had a 3 hour trip home. At the party, the North
Zone stole the show. About half the talents performed were from us.
Elder Bi. worked some guitar magic while we showed of some Obruny
native dance... the Boot Scootin' Boogie.... poorly choreographed, which
added to how fun it was. The amount of food there made me a bit sick
for the following two days, but all is well that ends well.

    Immediately after this, I had to go on splits into another
faux-bush area called Asamankese. These missionaries do not know what
bush means. If 85% of your people speak English and everyone has
electric light, it is not the bush. :) We held about 7 interviews with
some wonderful people. My very favorite was a sister named Mercy
S., who is 60, and barely literate. She was so enthusiastic though.
Me:"Do you believe Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God?"
Her: "YES!"
Me: "Why?"
Her: "Because he was a PROPHET!"

Elder Af. was pretty awesome too. The kid went to Stanford before his
mission and has been out about 6 months now. I don't know what it
is, but we get a lot of Islanders out here, and they immediately become
my people. Elder Tu., Elder Af.... I'm chill with the Nephites.

    Then I came back to Abomosu. Elder Bi. was like "I had no idea
what bush meant until I came here." Exactly, my friend. No area is
bush like Abomosu is bush. Not too much exciting happens/happened
here. We went to Kwabeng for church and I was invited to speak on the
Birth of Christ. It is frustrating to speak, though, because as soon
as they see I will not be speaking Twi, several of the people in the
back rows through up their arms and roll their eyes.

    As I was speaking, I realized a few really important things. I
was reminded of Nina, with her sign she puts up on Dec 26th "Only 364
days until Christmas". All the prophets throughout history had
looked forward to the Birth of Christ. Adam probably had a sign that
said "Only about 4000 years until Christmas." Interestingly enough, I
had never realized that the Star was never prophesied of in the Bible.
The Wise Men associated the Star with Christ why? No where (that we
have, mind you) is there such a prophesy... in the Bible. This comes
from the Book of Mormon. Another little proof there for you. I also
love what it says in 3 Nephi 1:17

"And the began to know that the Son of God must shortly appear; yea,
in fine, all the people upon the face of the whole earth from the west
to the east, both in the land north and in the land south..."

Really, every righteous, God-fearing soul at the time knew the great
importance of what was happening. It was the single most important
event in the history of the world, eclipsed only by a similar event 33
years later. I love the Savior and I love Christmas time.

    I received a package from Grammy consisting of entirely cinnamon
candies. These are my very favorite because no one in Africa, with
the exception of my companion, seems to like them.... not even the ants
or cockroaches (seriously, they are huge). I didn't remember to buy
food for Monday, so I've subsisted on tuna (thank you, Oma and Grandpa
Bill!) and Fire Twizzlers (thank you, Grammy and Papa!)

    I am excited to call home on Christmas. We only have one chip
this year. I'll send the number home as soon as I look it up, but
worst case scenario, I'll just flash the number and you can call back,
Mom and Dad. Or, I'll swing by later tonight with the number.

Just a few more months! This last one flew by. A lot of that is thanks to the
Terrys. Today, we'll be watching Johnny Lingo at their house.
Seriously, when they leave, I hope I get transfered.

Love,
Elder W. Farnbach

No comments:

Post a Comment