Monday, September 27, 2010

# 56 Disappointing Week

Dear Friends and Family,                                                Sept. 27, 2010

     This week was one of disappointments. Baptism after baptism fell fell through throughout the Zone, for small reasons. One of the things I've come to realize is that 99% of all concerns missionaries face are not doctrinal. The doctrine of the Gospel is simple and makes sense. Dogmatic people may come along, but even the harshest concerns are resolved upon careful study and simplified teaching. What saddens missionaries the most are the dreaded social concerns. Sometimes these issues are hard for the obrunie missionaries to understand because the two cultures can be so vastly different. That, and as missionaries, we've given up basically all society in favor of the Gospel. This is where the members come in. I beg you, all who read this, offer a little time each week to help the missionaries. When we try to do it alone, we aren't nearly as successful.
     This past month would also be measured as a bit of a set-back to zone mentality. But in every challenge, you are given two options. You can lay down and die, or you can get something done. I have a lot of weaknesses, but one strength I've developed on my mission is being able to bounce back, and get to work. I'm excited to get going on this next month, and to leave old things in the past.
     Emmanuel is still pretty awesome, though there are now some complications and some business problems that may keep him from attending on Sundays :/
     Samuel S. is also starting to worry us. He recognizes that joining the Church means some major changes in his life, and he's worried about his ability to make them. I love that he has figured all this out and we are doing all we can to help him realize that these changes are worth it.
     Millicent and Mabel -- Millicent is having some problems that are strictly Ghanaian, and I don't know how to help her. My companion is also an incredibly westernized Ivorian, so we're having some difficulties working them out. Mabel is kind and sweet and wonderful, but is struggling with her ability to speak English and read. She can do it, but she has no confidence, and we cannot convince her children to practice with her. I love my family, and I'm grateful they were always there to support me.
     Kingsly seems to be very committed, continuing to come to church even after we caught him falling down drunk twice now. He seems to be on the up and up. Elder Da. and I both have grown to love this man, and are really praying that this month is his month.
     We have also started to try to work with our members more. Our Relief Society President is a really awesome worker even though she is 8.5 months pregnant. Some people come to church to be fed. Some come to feed. Whenever you are around Sister Ab., you feel spiritually satisfied.
     That's really it. My journal writing as suffered this past month. I'm striving to turn that around. I hope all is well at home. At the end of this next month, I will be in the single digits. [ for number of months until he comes home ] Time really flies as we try and do all that we can to magnify our callings. I'm giving it everything I have, which I'm discovering more and more is really not that much.
     Love you! I really hope to hear from many of you in the upcoming months.
Love,
Elder W. Farnbach

No comments:

Post a Comment