Monday, April 25, 2011

#86 Easter


Dear Family,                         April 25, 2011

     Well, this week was pretty cool. Nothing of note really happened. Just a lot of meetings. Is anyone else really impressed with the new Handbook of Instructions? I know I am. We've been part of a LOT of branch council meetings up here in the bush to train leaders on missionary work, and it's just a great experience every time. I steal a copy of book 2 every chance I get and read those first chapters. Councils govern the Church. As started in... Heaven? ...when God made the Grand Council to decide the fate of His Spirit children. That being said, take these things very seriously.
      We've been working our tail ends off, and things haven't been going 100% awesome. In fact, a lot of missionaries have been getting down right discouraged. I was starting to feel like that when, on EASTER Sunday, NO ONE came to Church. Easter is a HUGE party week here in Ghana (and I didn't get to sleep because of the crazy parties going on around our apartment.) But, when we got to Sunday School, the branch president in Sankubanase pulled us aside and said we had an investigator. His name is Samson, and he's a police inspector. We read a little with him from the Book of Mormon about Easter time (namely, 3 Nephi 8 and 9) and then ask him what he would do if the things in the Book of Mormon were true. "I should be baptized, then." YES!!!! So we immediately gave him a baptismal date. Elder Dominic and I talked about it later and we both felt like the Lord was saying, "You are working hard, but your investigators have their agency, and aren't using it well. So, here is Samson."
      The other really cool thing that happened was today, we went to go watch para-gliders for my BIRTHDAY. Well, it's not my birthday, but there would be no para-gliders on the Monday after my birthday. It was weird seeing so many white people. But man, I loved the idea of paragliding. I, to this day, have not been able to figure out how people who travel so much when they are young do so, but I think I'd like to pick up a hobby like paragliding and run all over the world finding new things to jump off.
      Of course, all my reflections have been about the Savior recently. The Atonement is such an infinite thing that I've all but given up trying to understand it. But I like what the Savior says about it in 3 Nephi 9. "17 And as many as have received me, to them have I agiven to become the sons of God; and even so will I to as many as shall believe on my name, for behold, by me bredemption cometh, and cin me is the dlaw of Moses fulfilled." Really, the Atonement was to give us all the necessary tools and helps to fulfill our divine nature. He, being so many greater then we, reached down and condescended to lift us to where He is. This came with a terrible price, but one He was able and willing to pay. I love my Savior for this, and will do all I can to help others become fully converted from Fallen Men to Sons (and Daughters) of God. I love being a missionary.
Happy Easter!
Love,
Elder W. Farnbach

No comments:

Post a Comment