Monday, November 9, 2009

November 9, 2009 #12

Dear Family and Friends,
So this week has been pretty crazy. On Monday, because of problems with the power, we were not able to watch conference like we'd hoped, but we managed to see Elder Holland's AWESOME talk. I taught nothing but the Book of Mormon for a whole week. We also had some amazing instruction by our ZLs, APs and President at Zone Conference. Elder Southwick (ZL) gave an awesome instruction on simplifying the Plan of Salvation into the two laws of judgment: Justice and Mercy. It was mind-opening. Elder McGrath, the senior AP, also gave a great instruction on the same topic, but with regards to the use of Agency. God wants us to be free. Satan wants us to be in bondage, but tempts us to "prove" our freedom, ultimately leading us into captivity. It was very similar to Elder Oaks "Love of God, Law of God" idea. (the ONE talk we saw at Church.) President also gave another powerful instruction on the Book of Mormon. "Anyone who is intellectually and morally honest CANNOT overlook the Book of Mormon until they've read it."

President actually asked the zone to lower their goals because we did so well. We got 97% of our baptism goal as a mission, which is 25% more then usual... and as a zone we did 42 baptisms. Our goal went up to 52, and I still think we could have done it. Kasoa 1 is going for another strong 8.

Our ward is moving towards getting a Ward Mission Plan together. If anyone wants to send me a letter what those are supposed to look/be like, that would be great. I've never seen one, and unfortunately, neither has our bishop.

We had an awesome lesson with Peter A. Our District Instruction was all about just listening, and not worrying about what you will teach. As we talked to him, we saw the real depth of his financial problems, and how it's affecting his family. He's been missing Church to take small jobs to make a few cedis to feed them. As I listened though, I had the distinct, specific impression that if Peter would just show his faith, come to Church the next two weeks, and be baptized, this would go away. I don't just mean the general "Do the right thing and God will bless you", I mean "Elder Farnbach, Peter needs to come to church, so I can take care of this problem."


The Q. family has also been doing fantastic. We had to push their baptism back, to beyond when I would be here, sadly, but it's because the father wants to be baptized with his children, who were always at school during our lessons.


Frank A., was just baptized him on Saturday. He's the coolest kid (he's 26, actually...). Also, he gave us President Mill's (the president of Ghana) cell-phone number. We'll be placing a Book of Mormon shortly. I am not even kidding.


We also have one family that I really love. Mary A. It's so sad. She's been coming to church for 4 months and desperately working on her English and reading so she can be baptized... except we just found out her abusive husband has a second wife. She CANNOT be baptized until he splits with one.

All right, now for the big news. I've been transferred. I'm opening a new area in the BUSH. It's a place called Abomosu. Most of my ward right now doesn't know where that is. I have been told by the APs that I will have to become fluent in Twi, and that my companion and I will be the only ones out there. Also, my Senior Companion will also be the Zone Leader. The advantages... it's out in the mountains, so the Harmattan* won't hit me. Downsides: No internet for the next 4.5-6 months. I'll really need the letters, everyone :/


This whole transfer will be crazy. All but 13 of the 60 companionships are being changed. 7 new areas are being opened. The missionary work here is exploding! Elder Hicks, Elder Fisher, Elder Bills and I celebrated by going to a LEGIT restaurant out in Liberia Camp called TripleX. I had a cheeseburger and fries. It was awesome!! Then, we went down and played on one of those merry-go-rounds the BYU engineers built to generate electricity for the schools and orphanages. I'll have some pictures and videos of that soon. (on his facebook page)

OH! Mail Day! I finally got Marta's letter, and with any luck, I'll shoot off a response on Transfer day.

Love you all very much! Wish me luck!

Love,
Elder Farnbach

* Harmattan

The Harmattan is a dry and dusty West African trade wind. It blows south from the Sahara into the Gulf of Guinea between the end of November and the middle of March (winter).

On its passage over the desert it picks up fine dust particles (between 0.5 and 10 micrometers)

In some countries in West Africa, the heavy amount of dust in the air can severely limit visibility and block the sun for several days, comparable to a heavy fog. The effect caused by the dust and sand stirred by these winds is known as the Harmattan haze, and costs airlines millions of dollars in canceled and diverted flights each year. The interaction of the Harmattan with monsoon winds can cause tornadoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment